Dogs aren’t usually picky eaters but this doesn’t mean that everything they eat will be good for them.
If you examine the ingredients of your dog’s food, you will notice that fish is often included. Some fish such as northern pike fish can make excellent meals for humans and they can also add many health benefits to a dog’s diet.
So, can dogs eat northern pike? Dogs can eat northern pike. It can be very healthy for them as long as the fish are fully cooked without using too much oil or seasonings. It’s also very important that the pikes are cleaned properly so they won’t contain any bones that might cause harm to the dogs.
Continue reading to learn more about the benefits and risks of feeding pike fish to dogs as well as how to clean and cook pikes for dogs.
Are Northern Pike Fish Safe for Dogs to Eat?
Northern pikes are among the fish species that are safe for dogs to eat. They’re tasty and they can add many benefits to a dog’s diet. However, if they’re not prepared correctly, they might be harmful.
Benefits of Feeding Fish to Dogs
Fish have many health benefits. They’re low in calories and fats, high in protein, and they’re a rich source of Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D.
They’re also an excellent alternative for dogs with allergies to other sources of protein. Fish is actually helpful for dogs with sensitive stomachs – such as French bulldogs – as it can counter the sensitivity thanks to the lower fat levels and less dense muscle fibers in fish.
You can also learn about English bulldogs’ sensitive stomachs here.
Risks of Feeding Fish to Dogs
There’s a high risk when feeding dogs canned fish or raw fish as they might contain high levels of preservatives, toxins, or parasites that can be very harmful to dogs to eat.
Fish that are not cleaned properly or cooked with too much oil or seasonings can also be harmful to dogs. If you are concerned about them, maybe feeding them fish sticks can be a safer option, as fish sticks can be quite safe for dogs, although they are not the healthiest food for them.
Can Dogs Eat Northern Pike Raw?
Dogs can eat northern pike raw only if the fish are cleaned properly and frozen beforehand at a specific temperature to ensure that all the harmful toxins and parasites are removed from the fish.
Keep in mind that simple refrigeration is not an effective method of killing parasites, so you need to freeze the fish at -35°C for at least 15 hours.
How to Clean Northern Pike for Dogs?
It’s very important to clean the pike fish and remove all the bones to make them safe for dogs to eat.
Fishbones might be small but they’re very dangerous. They can get stuck in your dog’s mouth, throat, stomach, or intestines and sometimes they can even perforate the organ wall. This can be very painful for your dog and might also result in a serious injury that requires a visit to the vet.
So, here are some tips you can follow to thoroughly clean and debone a pike fish:
- Start by removing the scales from the pike by holding it firmly by its tail and scraping over its skin from the top of the tail toward its head with a sharp knife. Repeat the process several times on both sides of the pike’s body.
- Place the fish with its belly facing up on a flat surface then make a cut along its belly. You can start at the top of its spine then move towards its head. Make sure to keep the knife’s blade shallow to avoid damaging the meat.
- Spread the pike’s body open using pliers to remove the entrails, then use a toothbrush to clean the blood vein that runs along its spine.
- Rinse the pike fish, inside and out, with fresh water to clean any slime or remaining blood.
- To fillet the pike, you can cut across its tail and head on both sides, then cut across its spine and through the skeletal bones.
How to Cook Northern Pike for Dogs?
You need to cook the pike properly before feeding it to your dog. It’s important to keep the meal as simple and healthy as possible for dogs with sensitive stomachs or allergies.
Check the following recipes to cook a healthy meal for your dog using northern pike fish.
Pike Fillets with Rice and Vegetables
- 2 pounds of pike fillets
- 1 or 2 cans of pink salmon
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 cups of diced vegetables
- 1 cup of cooked rice (white or brown)
- Cut the fish fillets into small pieces then steam or bake them until they’re fully cooked.
- Boil the diced vegetables and let them simmer for about 5 minutes then drain the water.
- Put the pike fillet pieces, canned salmon, vegetables, and rice in a large bowl and mix them together until they become mushy enough for your dog to eat.
- Make sure to cool the food before serving it to your dog.
Pike and Sweet Potato Mash
- 2 or 3 pike fillets
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Boil the pike fillets in a shallow pan for about 10 minutes.
- Once the fillets are fully cooked, cut them up into bite-sized pieces.
- To cook the sweet potatoes, peel the skin and boil them in water until they’re tender then drain the water
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a fork then mix them with the pike fillet pieces.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil then stir the fillet and sweet potato mixture until it’s fully incorporated into an enticing mash for your dog.
- Make sure to cool the food before serving it to your dog.
What Kinds of Fish Are Good for Dogs to Eat?
There are many fish species that are good for dogs to eat. These fish species include salmon, carp, whitefish, cod, salmon, and catfish. It’s been proven that shorter-lived species are better for the dog because longer-lived species such as swordfish and tuna might contain higher levels of harmful toxins.
Can Dogs Feed On Fish Only?
Dogs cannot feed on Fish only. Fish are fine for dogs to eat in moderation, but too much fish can lead to obesity and will also deprive the dogs of other nutrients that are necessary to their diet. It’s best to consult your vet regarding the appropriate serving sizes if you plan on including fish as a regular part of your dog’s diet.
Can Dogs Eat Canned Fish?
Dogs can eat canned fish as long as it’s not packed in oil or has too much seasoning. You can serve your dog about half a can of canned fish with their daily food to add more nutrients such as Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D. Keep in mind that some brands of canned fish contain high levels of preservatives that can be harmful to dogs.
Did you like the post? If so, please share it!